Wednesday, September 14, 2011

But I muted the T.V. ...

"Silence is difficult and arduous, it is not to be played with. It isn't something that you can experience by reading a book, or by listening to a talk, or by sitting together, or by retiring into a wood or a monastery. I am afraid none of these things will bring about this silence. This silence demands intense psychological work. You have to be burningly aware of your snobbishness, aware of your fears, your anxieties, your sense of guilt. And when you die to all that, then out of that dying comes the beauty of silence." - Jiddu Krishnamurti.

It seems that my whole life has been a quest for silence, but the more quiet my surroundings were, the chattier my mind became. I'm still apt to "time-travel" in unguarded moments, by that I mean that my thinking attempts to get out in front of any problem (real or perceived) by running every possible scenario to every possible resolution, and I end up so overwhelmed that I sit on my ass and bleat "woe is me." I am more likely to catch myself today, and to watch my breath in and out and come back to here and back to now, and here now is nice. I should hang out here now more often. Namaste, clay

No comments:

Post a Comment